Saturday, July 25, 2009

Is That Light at the End of the Tunnel?


I have been working on a "big quilt" for 3 years. Sometimes months go by and I don't touch it. Somehow, my studio makeover has inspired me to get it out, and leave it out, so that I can work on it daily.

My friend and teacher Martha Green says to "work your stack". This is an excellent piece of advice. If you work through the blocks for your piece in a stack, you can achieve a kind of continuity that's difficult to get any other way. At least it is difficult for my ADD brain. For example, as you work your stack, choose a particular thread, and go thru every block, stitching next certain pieces of fabric with that thread. Might even be the same stitch. As you continue to go through the stack over and over the quilt begins to take on its own character.

I have diligently "worked my stack" for three years. The blocks are mostly finished. A few days ago I decided that I was on my last pass through. As I work on each block, I complete it. I have left beads and silk ribbon embroidery for last, so this is what I am working on. Today, I am working specifically on beading, and is it fun! I love Nancy Eha's book, Bead Creative Like Crazy, and I meander through that every day to inspire me.

I am listening to music from the 40's today and remembering my Mom and Dad dancing to Glenn Miller in the living room when I was a little girl. I am beading up a storm and counting my blessings. Life is good today.

3 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun! I wish I could have been there with you!!!! I miss you and we need to get together this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl. I have started two big quilts and then used the blocks in kits when I taught classes. Urgh! Gotta start again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, did you know if one googles "crazy quilt society" that your blog will show up on the second page of results - wow, you almost a legend!!

    ReplyDelete