I've had these walnut inks sitting around for a long time. I had to have them but I've never been sure what to do with them. (I know I am not the only person out there who is compelled to buy art supplies before having a use for them!) They can't be used on non-porous surfaces (or they will never dry), so I had limited use for them. After being inspired by Jane Davies to stamp, paint, and mark on tissue paper for use in collage it finally occurred to me to spray the inks on the tissue. I love the result. It's easy to do. Spray ink on tissue paper. Tear up paper. Stick it down.
|Tsukineko Walnut Ink Sprays|
|Torn tissue paper|
I ripped up the tissue paper and started sticking it down, paying very little attention to what went where. I added the translucent tissue paper over the opaque papers and I like the look very much. It knocks back the white and leaves the text visible.
The tissue paper on the left, in the image above, was stamped using a wooden stamp with Golden Iridescent Copper Light (Fine). I am adding it into the collage because it it's curvy, and because I love the copper color. You can see a bit of it in Collage detail (1) below. Not Collage (1), Collage detail (1).
The tissue paper I used had a strong grain in one direction and I ended up with lots of pieces with straight-ish edges. I positioned the most extreme ones against the edges of the paper.
|Collage detail (1)|
|Collage detail (2)|
There is no rhyme, reason, or composition here. Just randomly placed paper. It's not necessary because I will paint over much of this. It takes great courage, but I am learning to paint over collage, using the collage to inform my painting decisions. (Don't you love that? Informed. Me?) The class that I took from Jane last month at Art & Soul in Kansas City was filled with instruction that has made me much more confident about painting over my exceptionally wonderful precious collages.
Cereal Box Journal
The cereal box journal slowly marches on. When I add to the pages, I use paint left over after a "real" painting session and collaged junk. I experiment with things I might want to do in a project: techniques, stamps, all kinds of stuff.
This is a label torn off a beer carton. There was lots of nice narrowly corrugated cardboard left for use as a texturing tool. My son was nice enough to give the carton to me as I do not buy beer by the case.
I sprayed over a hare mask with Dylusions ink spray. I am still a little leery about using Dylusions because they are water-activated and they smear in the kind of work I do. Love the colors, though. I think my choices are to seal it with a fixative spray or switch to acrylic inks and settle for a different look.
I have been sick for a week, but I think I am on the mend now. It will be great to get back in the studio instead of sitting in a chair and watching netflix while reading the interwebs. I can only take so much of that stuff and I reached my limit last Monday.
|Cereal box journal detail (1)|
|Cereal box journal detail (2)|
|Cereal box journal spread|