Monday, January 20, 2014

Stamp carving

I carved a few stamps this weekend. Carving is so relaxing to me!

Large pattern stamp
Somehow I thought I could turn this stamp so that all the patterns would match. Either it can't be done or I can't figure it out. I am spatially impaired so it's not surprising! This was easy to carve. I freehand drew the pattern on a piece of pink carving material that I had around. It carved beautifully, so I need to head out with my Michaels coupon and see if I can find it there.
Smaller stamps
These smaller stamps were a pain in the neck to carve. Not because they were small but because the material crumbled as I worked, leaving irregular edges. It is a creamy color, but I don't know what kind it is. I especially like the spiral and the second one in the right column.

 Julie Fei Fan Balzer has a new book out, Carve Stamp Play: Designing and Creating Custom Stamps, and I have added it to my book wish list. (I linked my wish list on amazon, just in case anyone is searching for the right gift for me. Just saying')

My next projects are another luna moth stamp, about half the size of the first one, and a moon gazing hares. There seems to be a moon theme emerging here. Hmmmm.

I love comments! Feel free ...

5 comments:

  1. that carving looks tricky, is it? do you use a heat tool or just a knife?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed by anyone that carves their own stamps! Fabulous job! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Waving right back! 👋👋👋

      Delete
  3. Gill, I have only carved very simple things, so, yes, it' seaway. 😄 you can buy a little kit that has a carving tool, a couple of blades, and some of the stuff to carve at craft stores, and that' show I got started. It cost about $11 so if I didn't like doing it I had not invested a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna, that looks amazing... I used to carve and cut in lino and than to press it, but never really tried in stamping, I suppose it's easier to cut the stamping pads then hard lino.

    ReplyDelete