Friday, March 28, 2008

Joining Lace

I just found out that I can join two pieces of lace together for a new look. I gave it a try and here is what I learned.

Joining lace is easy to do with the right presser foot for your sewing machine. The foot is called an edge joiner or a stitch-in-the-ditch foot and has a vertical metal guide between its "toes". By lining up the edges of the lace (or fabric or ribbon) on each side of the metal guide, you can zigzag stitch, catching each side as you go. Of course, this could be used for any stitchable item with a straight side -- fabric, trim, ribbon.

The image above shows two pieces of lace joined in the middle, the edge joining foot, and a single piece of lace like the two that I joined. This is the first one I stitched and I can tell I need a bit of practice. The foot that came with my Janome machine is labeled "G".

I think I will make this into a leaf by shortening it and cutting a V into each end. I can stitch the edge each V to the other edge, giving it some dimension. Paint it green, add beads etc. and it might be quite cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment